A twelve year old Minnesota boy once decided to keep a dead Northern Flicker that he had found. In a rather crude fashion he "stuffed" the tiny creature. Forty years later John Palmer Hawkins, still a lover of nature, established his business in Winnipeg. After moving to Canada "Jack" Hawkins did a great deal of taxidermy in the Foam Lake, Saskatchewan area including moose and deer heads, and furniture made from horns. Some of these can still be found around Foam Lake.
In Stonewall, Manitoba; he mounted many specimens for DeWitt's Café which had a small museum. From his home at 117 St. Anthony Avenue in West Kildonan, Jack Hawkins mounted a set of locked deer horns for the Manitoba Museum in April of 1943.
In September of 1949 along with his son Ken, J.P. Hawkins & Son, Taxidermist; was opened at 1425 Main Street.